Wednesday, November 2, 2011

February 28, 2011

Hello Everyone,
This week was crazy as every first week of the transfer is. Transfers were successful this last Wednesday and Elder Owens made it here. We received 2 new missionaries to the zone which makes over half of the missionaries in the Idaho Falls West Zone 6 months or younger in the mission. We are currently leading the mission and I think it's because of the new missionary fire that we have which includes the desire to go and work. We ended this transfer with 17 baptisms in the zone which is incredible for 10 companionships.

Elder Owens is pretty sweet. He's from Mesa, Arizona and has been on his mission one transfer less than me which makes him only my 2nd companion that's been out less than me. He's athletic like most of my companions have been which I like because it helps us focus on the only thing we have in common, our purpose, rather than worldly commonalities.

This past week I finished "To the Rescue" the biography of President Monson. What a wonderful book! I encourage all of you to read it if you haven't yet. President Colton put it this way, "reading 'To the Rescue' is a life changing experience." I agree with him. I learned so much about our prophet and the great example he is to us. Two great lessons I learned from reading this book: 1. The Spirit re-confirmed to me that President Monson is a prophet of God, like He did when we participated in the solemn assembly nearly 3 years ago. He is the one who has been chosen for God to reveal his secrets to for the world. 2. President Monson made this statement, "whom the Lord calls, the Lord qualifies". President Monson is a perfect example of this, he wasn't anyone extraordinary or famous but he was prepared from the beginning to fulfil his sacred assignment as a prophet, seer, and revelator. Elder Scott said this when he came to the mission, "the Lord often calls un-ordinary people to do extraordinary things." President Monson is a perfect example of this statement.

I am so thankful that we have a prophet on the earth today. Isn't it great that we know clearly, as clear as black and white, what God's plan for us is? We know this because he has again reached out in love and chosen a messenger to give us constant revelation. The windows of heaven are not closed but are ever open, we should declare this to the world!!! In every interaction with people that I meet that are not of our faith I always tell them 2 things, one that God loves them, and two that He has called a prophet. I am here in Idaho because the true church of Jesus Christ has been restored to the earth and I have been called by a living prophet; I know my message is true. How great is my calling!

We haven't experienced any new baptism dates this week but we're planning on having set a few by the end of next week. Thanks for the prayers and the thoughts. I really appreciate them all. I went to the temple on Wednesday with Elder Durnall before he left. It was nice to remember the prayers for the full-time missionaries in the world. It's an interesting experience to be prayed for specifically in the temple. I realized this will only happen again in my life if I am in a temple presidency or the prophet. I can tell you that those prayers are answered because I feel the power of heaven each day I invite others to come unto Christ.

I challenge you all to let someone this week know that we have a prophet on the earth and what this means to you. I promise you a deeper testimony of the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ as you do so. Let me know what experiences you have this week as you take this challenge.

--
Peace and Love,
Elder Tyson Rigby Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment