Wednesday, November 2, 2011

07/04/2011 Menan, Idaho

Hello Everyone!

Happy Independence day!

Where do I begin? Well I'm in Menan now...

This place is GREAT! Very very similar to St. Anthony in the fact that everyone is laid back and doesn't have a care in the world. It really has been a weird adjustment from being in Poky and IF for the past year. I've forgotten what it was like to be around people who have such simple lives. We cover the whole stake which includes 9 units. We have the cities of Menan and Lewisville and the areas of Grant and Annis. This area is the biggest I've served in including the most open space. For the past 5 days I've been so lost! I just learned North and South ;)

My companion is Elder Markert from Pennsylvania near the NY border. He's even in the Palmyra temple district. When we first got together he was really nervous as most new missionaries are but even after a couple days he was still being really shy. I'll admit that I was nervous to have a shy comp especially because he didn't speak much. The great part is that now he's comfortable with talking to anyone.

We had a way cool experience our first day together. We received a phone call from a man by the name of Randy who said that we didn't show up to our appointment the day prior. I called him right back and explained that we were both new to the area and that we would be more than happy to come see him. He told us to come in a couple days but that we should see Jason from the church. Now we didn't have any idea who Jason was since we'd only been in the area for 2 hours. After a few questions we were able to find out that Jason was the elders quorum president. We went to see president Fullmer to find out the situation about this family. Let me tell you, brother Fullmer was so happy to see new missionaries! He wanted to go see them right then so we loaded up in his truck and went on a visit to Randy. When we got there we found out that this family has just recently moved here from Washington and were meeting with the missionaries there. Randy moved here with his son Rick (19) and his girlfriend Georganne. The first thing they asked us was, "so can we have the first lesson now?" Randy is already converted to the gospel and is currently studying Jesus the Christ, Georganne is re-activating, and Rick said he isn't opposed to learn more. What we didn't know is that Randy set this whole thing up for Rick because Randy knows it's true. After teaching about the Book of Mormon and the Atonement I wrote on a sticky note to Elder Markert, "I want you to invite Rick to be baptized." He looked at me with wide eyes and I simply looked back to Rick in silence. Elder Markert invited him and he accepted!! It was way cool! There is nothing better than having a new missionary set a baptism date his first day in the field. The best part was that we didn't even know these people but we were able to follow the Spirit to see the EQP who helped connect us to this family.

You're probably wondering about Randy... well he will be baptized when he can figure out how to live the Law of Chastity. When this happens he will be baptized in a heartbeat.

Things are looking up. It's weird not being a zone leader anymore, really weird but I told Elder Markert that I don't believe in Jr./Senior companionships but that we're both equal. I've been used to having an equal companion for the past 12 months and that I look to him as the same. Since that conversation he's been taking the lead on most every aspect of missionary work. He's going to do great.

Tonight we're going to Rexburg to a rodeo with our zone and we get to be out until 11 PM. We're going to stay the night with some Elders up in Rexburg and then come back to Menan tomorrow. I'm excited for the fireworks tonight!

I hope you all have a great week. Remember to always share your testimony!

--
Peace and Love,
Elder Tyson Rigby Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment