Monday, May 3, 2010

Baptism #12 4/19/2010

Hello everybody!

What a great week! Oh my heck. Probably the busiest week so far in the mission.

We had another baptism for Kyler Kunz on Saturday. What a powerful baptism that was. Probably one of the best I've been involved in. Kyler is such a stud. He is 12 years old and was so ready for that day. He came to his baptism in his new suit he got from his grandparents which was too big for him so he can grow into it. His mom who isn't a member is soooo close to getting dunked. Amber has such a desire to get baptized. She has been to church every Sunday since the first Sunday in January. She has family prayer every night, prayer over their food, and scripture reading each day. She knows the church is true and wants more than anything to get to the point of baptism. The problem is that she can't quit her smoking. It really rips my heart out to see her desire and her testimony grow but yet she is so addicted to a substance that is preventing her from recieving the blessing of eternal life. She tells us that she wants more than anything to go to the temple and be sealed together. At Kyler's baptism she was an emotional wreck. Especially when President Walker gave some closing remarks. I know she was emotional because of her sincere desire to make this covenant.

Speaking of President Walker, he is such a great stake president. Even though he's been the only one I've worked with, he's the best. He has been to every single one of our convert baptisms. He calls us often to ask what he can do to help. He takes sincere interest in the people we are teaching and makes an effort to get to know them. The spanish elders had a baptism on Saturday also and instead of taking his day off President Walker was at the church most of the day supporting the missionary work in his stake. He tells me every transfer that I need to let him know when transfers are so he can call President Colton and work out a deal to keep me here. I would choose to finish out my mission in St. Anthony if I could. There aren't better people on the planet than these people here.

I hope you remember our recent convert Aaron Boots. We went out to his house yesterday for his first new member lesson. We went a few minutes early to check up on them before their home teachers came. While talking I was invited to go and "shoot dog" next Monday. Shoot dog is when the calf runs out of a "shoot" which is like a cage and you have to grab hold of it by the horns and twist to get him to lay down on his side. Be ready for some awesome pictures next week! I'm so excited. I don't know if this is exactly approved but we're supposed to experience the culture right? I think of this as a cultural experience.

We had the wonderful opportunity to pick up 6 new investigators this last week. Four of the six is a whole family! That doesn't happen too often here in Idaho. We are teaching this lady, Mary Lu, and her 3 kids. One day this family went to the church on a Tuesday night to go to church. One of the Bishops found her and took her information and gave it to us. We have now taught them two times and are working on getting a date for their baptism. Miracles happen every day. I think of the movie August Rush when August says, "music is all around us all we have to do is listen" I want to change that to say "miracles happen all around us all we have to do is look". Who says that miracles stopped with Jesus' Apostles? I am a witness that miracles do happen. There are no such things as coincidences; coincidences are what people call miracles that are too blind to see God's hand in our life.

I love you all. More importantly I know that God loves you all.

peace and love,
Elder Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment