Monday, December 7, 2009

Family and friends,

This past weekend has been the best weekend so far (even though I've only had three) in the field. It started off with my first baptism!
The baptism was successful and hilarious. The boy's name that was baptized is Jake and his 80 year old grandfather baptized him who just got active in the church so this baptism was new for both of them.
Jake is 15 and a big kid and his grandpa is tiny. I was a witness and the first time he went down Jake's head didn't go all the way under so they had to do it again but Jake's grandpa didn't know he had to say the prayer again so he just threw him under the water without holding him or supporting him or anything. Jake was squirming and had to get himself up out of the water. We were all laughing so hard. The third time was a success and Jake was really happy. It was so great to be a witness at my first baptism. After that event I realized the significance of my purpose as a missionary... "invite others to come unto Christ..."
Jake didn't know any piano players so I volunteered myself. I loved being behind a piano again and inviting the spirit through music. I've always loved the piano and have cherished the talent, but now I can give back to the Lord with the talent he has given me. So many missionaries have told me that they wish they knew how to play the piano. I just smile and say I would too if it wasn't for my Mom. I have loved every time I've been asked to play. Especially when the Assistants ask.
Next great thing that happened was an event last night. We were given a referral for a family called the Westovers. We knew that they had fed the missionaries in the past but didn't know what their interest was in the church. We decided to stop by a few weeks ago and ask if they would be interested in meeting with us. After a few moments of silence, Stephanie, the mom, said well we have never allowed missionaries to teach us but I will this time. We were so excited! We were told that we could teach Stephanie and her son Kyle who is 8. We consider him an over aged youth because his parents are both not members. So we taught them Lesson 1. It was good, not great, but the spirit was strong during the first vision. So we set up a return appointment. At our Zone Conference this past week President Colton told us that unless the spirit directs you not to invite people to be baptized you should always do so in every lesson. Elder Call and I had discussed inviting her for the 19th of this month. So we go in to teach last night and decided that we would teach the 3rd lesson which is the Gospel of Jesus Christ (faith, repentance, baptism, Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end). We talked about the first two points and towards the end of repentance the spirit so strongly told me that she was to be baptized on the 26th of this month and that I was to invite her immediately. So I interrupted Elder Call and said, "Stephanie, I would be dishonest if I didn't tell you what the spirit just told me (at this point I started to get emotional). Our Heavenly Father desires you and Kyle to be baptized on the 26th of this month. You know this Gospel is true because I can feel of your testimony. Will you follow the example of our Savior and be baptized on the 26th of December?" With tears in her eyes both Kyle and Stephanie accepted the invitation. I tell you what, I have never had a prompting so strong or so bold in my life. The Lord knows us all so personally and so individually. In just two weeks Stephanie went from not sure if she was to meet with us, to feeling the spirit testify to her that she is to be baptized in a few weeks. How great is my calling! I love missionary work. This is the Lord's work and I just merely spoke the words that the spirit directed me to say. I know that Stephanie and Kyle are ones that I was sent here to Idaho to bring into the "fold".
I know this work is the work of the Lord. To all my friends out there that are trying to find the truth let me give you some advice; God only speaks truth, and only truth prevails. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day saints is God's truth and it prevails. "The truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent... till the great Jehovah says the work is done." This is my testimony and all the represents me. I am the Lords missionary and He has chosen me to represent him. How great is my calling.
I love you all so much. I know there are many more great stories to come. Although Idaho is freezing it is "burning up" with missionary work.

peace and love,

Elder Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment